Here's what you need to know:
- Applicants for U.S. passports must be U.S. citizens.
- All applicants MUST appear in person.
- Applicants age 16 and over must personally sign their passport application.
- Both parents must appear in person for minors under the age of 16. If one parent is unable to appear, a notarized letter of consent or other legal documents must be presented. View the U.S. State Department website for information on minors.
- If you are renewing your current passport, you may not be eligible to apply at a passport acceptance facility and must apply by mail. However, we could take your photo! See more information about renewals below, or check the U.S. Department of State website.
- Note: we only accept check and money orders for the application fee. The execution fee may be paid with a separate check, money order, or cash. We are unable to accept credit card payments at this time.
Applying for your passport at UMD is easy:
Renewing your passport?
You MUST renew by mail if your most recent passport:
- Can be submitted with your application
- Is undamaged
- Was issued when you were age 16 or older
- Was issued within the last 15 years
- Was issued in your current name (or you can legally document your name change)
Need a passport for your child?
Our Passport Facility takes official passport and visa photos!