Frequently Asked Questions

View our frequently asked questions below. 

How do I renew my passport?

  • Most passport renewals MUST be done by mail. Check the U.S. Department of State website to see if you need to apply by mail or in person.
  • Need a new photo? Stop in to get your passport photo or visa photo taken at our facility. 

Do I need a passport book or card?

  • The passport card is only valid for land border crossings and sea ports of entry in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • A passport book is valid for all international travel by air, sea, or land.
  • See the U.S. Department of State website to help decide which option is best for you.

Which form should I use?

  • The U.S. Department of State has a quiz to help you determine which form is necessary for your particular situation. 

Can I pay with a credit card?

  • No. The passport application fee must be paid by check or money order to the U.S. Department of State. The execution fee and photos may be paid for by cash, money order, or check to the University of Minnesota Duluth. (Starter checks cannot be used.)

Does everyone applying for a passport have to be present?

  • Yes, everyone must be present for the entire process. Both parents must be present for minors under the age of 16. View options on the U.S. Department of State website if both parents cannot attend.

How do I replace a lost or stolen passport?

Do I have to submit my original birth certificate, passport, or certificate of naturalization?

  • Yes, the U.S. Department of State requires the original documents. Your documents will be mailed back to you in seven business days after your new passport is issued.

Can I get my passport in fewer than two weeks?

  • Call the National Passport Information Center at 1 (877) 487-2778 or go to their website for more information.

Can you email me my photo?

  • Yes, we can provide digital copies of your passport or visa photo upon request.

View the U.S. Department of State FAQs >>